Thursday 8 May 2008

Are You Prepared?

A few years ago, I offered a young couple who were about to get married a copy of my "Creating A Magical Relationship" book. I was offering it with the intention it may provide them with the basics of how to have a long and enjoyable relationship.

I was surprised when they replied "No thanks. We don't need it as we have a great relationship". And I bet you can guess which partner said that!!

Many a client presents for coaching and says "I'm not sure why I am here as I don't think I have the problem any more. While I was feeling devastated because my partner left me, they have come back so things are good". Well, for now anyway!

You are probably asking "What's your point, Clive?"

Prevention is better than cure.

People tend to rate how they are going in life based on whether there are any problems.

If there are no problems - don't mess with it. After all, why fix something if it ain't broken?

People don't worry about eating healthy or exercising until they get sick or have a heart attack. Then they embark on a health program - well, for a while anyway.

Some tend to wait until things go wrong before embarking on a "fix it" program.

A lady who was 30kg overweight, who ate huge amounts of junk food and did no exercise commented she was really surprised she had diabetes! The road back from this becomes long and hard - if she was to attempt it.

Preventation is much easier than fix it. It's much easier to learn how to get the best out of yourself while you are feeling great than when you have emotionally hit rock bottom.

It's much easier to stay healthy than to embark on a health program from sickness or disease.

Let me use the car as an example. Do you service your car when it's required? Do you put the right fuel into it?

Nearly every one does both. Why? They do not want it to break down. If it does, it will cost a lot of money to repair.

So what is more important: your body or your car?

If you answered your "body", are you treating your body better than your car?

You regularly service your car and put the right fuel into it. If your body is more than your car, are you "servicing" your body (getting regular check-ups) and fuelling it correctly?

If you think your car is going to cost a lot of money to fix if it breaks down, wait until you see what it costs to fix your body if it breaks down.

Having said all that, I used to be a "curer". I used to think self development was good for everyone else but I didn't need to do it. My life was fine.

It was only when I ended up in hospital with chest pains because I could not handle being dumped by my girlfriend that I realised there had to be a better way. Getting her back wasn't working so I was forced to make a change. I made a commitment to myself that I never wanted to experience that feeling again and so began my quest to find a fulfilled life.

Now I have an attitude of learn as much as possible so I can enjoy this life to the max.

Is your attitude one of learning how to take control or do you need to go through some emotional trauma before you begin the learning process?


If you would like any help in this area, please feel free to contact us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have left my long term partner for the third time in the past five years. This time I have taken out a twelve month lease for two reasons 1)to stop myself going back because everything is ok again 2)to give him time to get counselling for his anger problem. Since I have left we are getting on fine again-go figure. He is on his best behaviour and he is very lovable without the anger. The anger is still there and we are having marriage counselling, finally he may get the insight he needs to deal with his anger without being abusive towards me. (He doesn't believe he is)
I see this as a win win situation. If the counselling shows him how to deal with his anger without hurting me and I go back we have a much improved relationship. If it doesn't work out and I don't go back we have both done all we could to save it and will both have a better understanding of ourselves and each other and can move on with love.
By the way he is a great believer of "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Well where is it now?